Snatch Strap Recoveries
Recommended Recovery Equipment to have in your vehicle
- Rated D Shackles
- Snatch Strap (Ask at your local 4wd shop for the correct rated strap for your vehicle)
- Air Damper
- Tree Trunk Protector
- Always recover in as straight as a line as possible – don’t risk the strap getting cut
- Air Damper – put over the middle third of the strap. This is so if the strap breaks the weight will pull the strap to the ground and lessen the chance of the strap flying and hitting someone or something.
- Don’t recover from tie down points. Use the specifically designed recovery points.
- The driver of the vehicle who is stuck is in charge of the recovery – this to ensure the recovery is managed correctly.
- A CB radio is ideal to communicate with, otherwise use your horn.
- The vehicle doing the recovery generally needs to be one gear higher to get enough momentum to recover the stuck vehicle.
Recoveries are dangerous situations.
Ensure everyone is out of reach of the snatch strap. If the strap breaks it can fly and hit people or go through windows or break things. Before the vehicles start moving, ensure everyone is well out of reach of the snatch strap.
Check out Mad Matt’s video to learn more on how to do a safe snatch strap recovery.